While I usually paint Warmachine and Hordes, in the past year or so I’ve decided to give 40k a try. I’ve always loved the idea of Orks because of they allow so much creativity in assembling or even scratchbuilding models, and besides they’re the most steampunky of the lot.
My Orks are called the Bruvverhood of Steal, and because of that I felt like it’d be a shame if they didn’t STEAL something. We’ve got my looted dreadnought, but what do we have for killa kans? Well, what about this?
I fell in love with the idea of looted sentinels when I checked out some of the great examples out there, like those from MicroArtStudios, and naturally I had to start making some for myself.
Of course, these were made before the plastic Killa Kan kits, and while I didn’t want to just have a run-of-the-mill factory line Killa Kan, I also didn’t want to let all the new bits go to waste either. And so a kitbashing Killa Kan Sentinel (henceforth known as Sentikans) project was born!
I bought a 2 Killa Kan boxes, a Sentinel, and some Sentinel parts to boot, but since I was trying to make 3 Sentikans I’d have to spread out the Imperial parts to make sure there was enough to go around. Which means using plasticard in place of some Sentinel armor plates.
I added a few more pieces of metal just to make sure it looked messy and to give it sufficient detail.
I figured that since I was going crazy with Kitbashing I might as well go the whole hog and magnetize the model as well. Also, I wanted a more humanoid silhouette rather than the AT-ST look of the sentinel, hence the magnetizing of the arms to the side of the Sentikans.
Looking at Hoetwerth’s work, I also decided to shorten the legs by removing the bottom pipes.
Of course, I didn’t have enough Sentinel legs to go around, so for one of my Sentikans I bashed out a hip join from an extra bit of trukk I had lying around, some plasticard, and stuck some legs to it.
Next week: Working on the weapons!